TAPPI’s 2019 Gunnar Nicholson Gold Medal Award
Shih-Chin Chen Named Recipient ofTAPPI’s 2019 Gunnar Nicholson Gold Medal AwardHighest TAPPI honor recognizes lifelong scientific achievements
TAPPI is pleased to announce that Shih-Chin Chen has been named winner of the prestigiousGunnar Nicholson Gold Medal Award.
He is Corporate Executive Engineer at ABB and has been with AccuRay, CE, and ABB for more than 34 years.
Chen received his bachelor degree in Mechanical Engineering from Cheng-Kung University, master degree in Power Mechanical Engineering from Tsing-Hua University in Taiwan and his Ph.D. in Systems Engineering from Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland Ohio.
At ABB, Chen is responsible for the development of control solutions for the pulp and paper industry. In the 1990’s, he led a group of engineers to develop 1190 QCS control solutions for paper machines and later continued developing advanced control applications in ABB’s current 800xA QCS systems. Both 1190 and 800xA QCS have been widely utilized in the worldwide paper industry.
His development work includes scanning measurement processing, MD, CD, and Color controls, scanners, sensors, and process diagnostics, and control performance optimization. He holds more than a dozen patents and has published various technical papers on paper machine controls. He received two Jasper Mardon Memorial Awards and three Process Control Division best paper awards.
Shih-Chin has been a member of TAPPI since 1988. He has also served in various volunteer roles with TAPPI including PaperCon speaker, track manager, Technical Program Committee member, Process Control Division Chair 2010-2012 and was named TAPPI Fellow in 2011. He is also a life-time member of IEEE Control and Signal Processing Societies.
About the Gunnar Nicholson Gold Medal Award:
First presented in 1985, the prestigiousGunnar Nicholson Gold Medal Awardis TAPPI’s highest technical honor in recognition of an individual’s exceptional industry contributions. It is presented annually only if the individual has made preeminent scientific and engineering achievements of proven commercial benefit to the world’s pulp, paper, board, and forest products industries including forestry, derived products, their process technologies, and their applications.
TAPPI is the leading association for the worldwide pulp, paper, packaging, tissue and converting industries and publisher of Paper360°, Tissue360° and TAPPI Journal. Through information exchange, events, trusted content and networking opportunities, TAPPI helps members elevate their performance by providing solutions that lead to better, faster and more cost-effective ways of doing business. It has provided management training and networking to the industry’s leaders for more than 100 years.
Inside this Section
- Coating and Graphic Arts Division Past Winners
- Corrugated Packaging Past Award Winners
- Environmental Past Award Winners
- Engineering Division Past Winners
- Finishing & Converting Past Award Winners
- International Flexible Packaging and Extrusion Division Past Award Winners
- Nanotechnology Division Past Award Winners
- Nonwovens Division Past Award Winners
- Paper & Board Division Past Award Winners
- PIMA Past Award Winners
- Process Control Division Past Award Winners
- Process & Product Quality Division Past Award Winners
- Pulp Manufacture Past Award Winners
- Research and Development Past Award Winners
- Women in Industry Woman of the Year Award
- 2022 Herman L. Joachim Distinguished Service Award Winner
- 2021 Herman L. Joachim Distinguished Service Award Winner
- 2020 Herman L. Joachim Distinguished Service Award Winner
- 2019 Herman L. Joachim Distinguished Service Award
- 2018 Herman L. Joachim Distinguished Service Award
- 2017 Herman L. Joachim Distinguished Service Award
- Membership Anniversaries